The gifts are wrapped and the tree is trimmed, which means you’re right on schedule, so the last thing you need is a bad hair day to ruin the holiday. To keep that from happening, we talked to beauty expert Beau Dieda, who owns Beau’s Studio in Los Angeles. He came up with three hairstyles that are right on trend this season and will let you make a grand entrance at the annual holiday office party or a black-tie New Year’s Eve bash.
His advice is to ditch the severe updos and tight little chignons in favor of a more relaxed look—blown-out, gorgeous hair that speaks for itself. The idea is to let the hair breathe. Shiny, not lacquered, is the look you’re going for. Hair accessories like crystal-embellished tortoise shell hair clips, glittering brooches and butterfly clips were all the rage at Fall Fashion Week 2018. In other words, ‘tis the season to break out the rhinestone bobby pins to add a bit of sparkle and shine to any look.
Celebrities from Jennifer Lawrence to Octavia Spencer walked the red carpet last season in middle-parted waves, and the trend shows no signs of slowing down. To duplicate the look, follow these steps:
- Shampoo the hair and towel dry.
- Now grab your Elchim Thermal Round Brush equipped with special nylon bristles to hold the hair in place while blow-drying. This brush produces an even amount of heat so the hair is not so straight that it’s difficult to add a little curl or bend, which is what you want with this look.
- Before starting your blowout, work a little volumizer into the roots.
- I recommend using the Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Dryer because it gives nice control and leaves the hair looking silky smooth. Blow the hair out until it’s dry.
- Now split the hair into four sections. First, create a center part. Next, part the hair across the middle behind the ear.
- I like the Elchim Nature’s Touch Styler for adding just the right amount of wave. The idea is the move up the head in one-inch sections. Curl one section forward and the next section away from the face so they support each other and the hair won’t fall flat when you brush it out. This technique also creates a kind of tousled, effortless look that’s in right now.
- Emulsify a bit of oil in the palms of your hand. Flip your hair over and work the oil through your locks to add shine and finish.
This is a look that’s great for a holiday office party where you want to attract attention, yet still look modern and chic. Here’s how to do it:
- Use the Elchim Nature’s Touch Styler to create bend in the crown area. To get a bit more lift, apply some sticky powder to the roots before styling.
- Tease the hair in the crown area a bit until you have a nice pouf. After backcombing the hair so it’s nice and full, secure the pompadour with a couple of crystal- or rhinestone-encrusted bobby pins or a jeweled hair clip.
- Leave the rest of the hair nice and sleek by flat-ironing the mid-lengths and ends with the Nature’s Touch Styler.
Classic Old Hollywood waves never go out of style, and they’re perfect for holiday parties where you want a bit of polish and glamour.
- Set the hair using Elchim Thermal Round Brushes. I like to roll the hair around the barrel to the root and blast it with some hot air from my Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Dryer. Work your way around the top of the head and let the brushes sit until they cool down before removing them from the hair.
- To style, bring all of the waves to one side for a soft kind of glam look.
- Tuck the rest of the hair behind the ear on the other side and secure with a sparkly hair clip or pin.